Kids' Corner Child Care
Kids' Corner is an on-site before and after school care available for Young 5's through 5th grade. Care for preschool age students may also be available surrounding their Little Hornet Preschool class time. Established in 1985 Kids' Corner is a self-supporting non-profit childcare/enrichment program. We are located in the northwest corner of Explorer Elementary School.
Kids' Corner is licensed by the Bureau of Regulatory Services, Child Day Care Licensing. We have an open-door policy, and welcome and encourage parents to visit our programs any time.
- Little Hornets - Wrap around care for preschool age childrenPreschool
- Kids' Club- Young 5- 5th grade students
Kids' Corner is directed by a qualified, experienced supervisor, Rebecca Olsen.
Call 517-655-4637 or stop by for more information. We are located at 420 Highland St., Williamston.
Providing a safe, loving environment is our priority. The lead teacher plans theme related curriculum that includes large and small motor time, creative, sensory, social/emotional and cognitive development.
An afternoon snack and juice are provided by Kids' Corner.
Care is available on most days when school is not in session. A reservation form is necessary for these days. Parents are responsible to provide a peanut-free lunch and a drink when school is not in session. Field trips may be planned. Notification will be on the reservation form. Additional charges for field trips are added to your tuition.
Kids' Corner is designed to meet the social, emotional, physical, intellectual and creative needs of each child. We believe that:
- Each child is a person whose growth occurs in developmental stages that are sequential and continuous;
- Each child is unique with individual physical, social, emotional, and intellectual needs and cultural backgrounds;
- Creativity and independent discovery of children are best promoted through the provision of hands-on experiences in a warm and nurturing play-based environment;
- Children learn best when their educational experience is a cooperative venture between home and school.
The goals of Kids' Corner are to:
- Provide safe, dependable, quality care.
- Provide a variety of activity options designed through a theme approach to learn that enhances the social, emotional, physical, intellectual and creative development of individual children.
- Nurture, support and personally interact with each kid.
- Encourage critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Utilize community resources to benefit the needs of children.
Kids' Corner uses discipline as a means of encouraging self-control and self-direction rather than thinking of it as a punishment for unacceptable behavior.
We provide discipline in the form of positive guidance rather than punishment. Children will be guided toward self-discipline through the use of skilled techniques that include:
- Setting clear guidelines and expectations - both verbally and in writing;
- Redirection of potential problem situations by offering appropriate choices;
- Responding to inappropriate behavior in a positive way by presenting reasons why a behavior is inappropriate and suggesting an alternative behavior;
- Enforcing limits with related consequences;
- Helping children problem-solve disputes.
Time-out will be used as a last resort.
- Children will be removed from a situation so that they can get control of themselves.
- This is not to be a punishment but a chance for the child to calm down and return to the group.
- Note: In this case of severe discipline problems, a conference with the staff and parent will be arranged so a possible plan of action can be established.